The unified identification card system for overseas Filipino Workers (OFW) was officially launched on Wednesday but the card will not be immediately available to all OFWs as the production process will be in stages, officials said.
Labour officials confirmed that the new ID system for Filipino workers abroad was presented to Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte on Wednesday afternoon.
But first of all what are the benefits of having OFW ID
Here are the 12 Important things you need know about OFW ID
1. You dont need to pay anything to get OFW ID. You must be in the list of POEA as a valid OFW
2. OEC will be replaced by OFW ID.
3. OFW ID will be released from July 12 2017
4. At first, it will be only available for new ofw. For those ofw already, they need to wait couple of months to have their ID
6. The OFW ID can be used in any government or private transactions like DFA, OWWA, NBI, SSS, Philhealth and Pag-Ibig.
7. The ID is tamper resistant.
8. It can be used as a beep card for MRT or LRT.
9. You dont need to apply for it. Once it’s available you can have it easily
10. OFW ID will be an exemption to travel tax and terminal fee
11. It will serve as a debit or credit card in the OFW Bank that will be opening soon.
12. Can be used to quickly pass through Philippine Immigration gates